The parish of St. Francis de Sales was founded in 1847 with the Rev. Z. Leveque as its first pastor. The first Mass and other sacraments were celebrated in the courthouse before the first church was built. The first church made of brick in Romanesque style was built in 1848. In 1870 the Sisters of the Marianites of Holy Cross arrived and opened the first Catholic school in Terrebonne Parish. In 1926 a hurricane destroyed the old church. In 1938, Archbishop Rummel dedicated and consecrated the new "simple village church" that Father August Vandebilt built. The current church follows the French-Gothic style of Europe. In 1977, St. Francis de Sales was elevated to the dignity of a cathedral, making her the mother church of the diocese. In 2002, the cathedral underwent extensive renovations and repairs under the leadership of Msgr. Joseph N. Latino, now bishop of Jackson, MS. The cathedral campus is composed of the church, school, the youth center and parish hall, the priests' rectory and the cathedral convent. Behind the campus is St. Francis de Sales Cemetery No. 1.